Current Releases: Copperworks American Single Malt Whiskey
Copperworks American Single Malt Whiskey starts as a craft beer made from the finest barley grown in Washington. It is then distilled twice in traditional copper stills handcrafted for Copperworks by the leading maker of Scottish pot stills, Forsyths. It is then matured in oak casks in a temperature-controlled warehouse.
The variety of barley, the maturing time, and the barrels used for maturing vary by our different releases. Production details for each release are provided below.
Craft Malt Week 2022 Single Cask Release
This special single cask release was created to celebrate Craft Malt Week 2022. It features Baronesse barley grown by Joseph’s Grainery in Colfax, WA and malted by LINC Malt in Spokane Valley, WA. The release matured for 30 months in a charred new American Oak cask with char level two and 36-month aged staves. Limited release of 219 bottles.
Tasting Notes: Aromas of pine needles, apple pie crust, fresh flower petals, and wet cedar immediately identify this whiskey as something special. The apple pie crust aromas continue into the flavor, moving through steel-cut oats to darker notes of black walnut and cola nut. A nice, long finish of oiled teak, candied pineapple, and suede wrap up this complex whiskey.
Crafted from nine casks of whiskey, Release 041 is our most involved blend to date and the one that best illustrates our pledge to always put flavor at the front and center of our production process. Although other Copperworks releases have been created by combining different cask types, barley varietals, and maturation times, Release 041 was created with a wide array of whiskeys. See the detailed list
Tasting Notes: Aromas of ripe cantaloupe, tobacco, glazed ham, and banana custard lead to flavors of fig jam, dark cherry, and a back-note of Worcestershire sauce. Finishes with lots of tropical fruit, including pineapple, mango, and papaya.
Release 042: WA Peated American Single Malt Whiskey
Release 042 was created from six casks of Washington State peated whiskey that were matured for more than five years. Each cask was brewed and distilled with 100% of the Copeland variety of barley that was grown in Washington’s Skagit Valley and then smoked during the malting process with peat from a lakebed on the Olympic Peninsula.
Tasting Notes: Aromas present notes of vanilla bean paste, ripe passion fruit, and pineapple, enhanced by a subtle smokiness. The barrel influence shines through first in the flavor notes with an early entry of candied almonds and salted caramel, later developing into a complex of oak and tannins. The finish brings notes of pine sap, bread crust, and white pepper that trail into a fig jam and fruit leather.
Tasting Notes: Aromas of lemon zest and black cherry to start, with suede, dried pine needles, and grilled pineapple following. The first sip reminds of sweet tea, then the fruit continues with flavors of ripe kiwi and citrus peel, lingering as an aged pipe tobacco. Finishes with a bang of white pepper, Demerara sugar, and fresh raspberries. A well-balanced sipper, and a great candidate for an Old Fashioned.
Production Notes: Made with eight casks, all matured in charred, new American Oak. Four casks were brewed from Great Western Malting Pale Malt and matured for 45-52 months. Three casks were brewed from single variety barley (Baronesse barley grown in Colfax, WA) and matured for 56 months. The final cask was created from a “Queen’s Run” and matured for 60 months.
Tasting Notes: Lots of classic single malt whiskey aromas here, including heather, cigar wrapper, and a bit of brisket char. A big clover honey entry followed by more heather, poached pear, and a nice shot of mocha. Finishes with more honey, moving to graham cracker, and trailing off with ripe fig. A wonderful dram by itself or one to enjoy in a whiskey-featuring cocktail, such as a Red Hook or Remember The Maine.
Production Notes: Crafted from six casks of single variety malt whiskey brewed and distilled from the Fritz variety of barley that was grown on a single farm in the Skagit Valley and matured for 36 months in charred new American Oak casks. Those casks make up 94% of this bottling, while the remaining 6% comes from whiskey that matured for 60 months in a Manzanilla sherry cask.
Learn about past releases of Copperworks American Single Malt Whiskey.